IT’S ALL ABOUT EMPATHY
Ed says that he and his team work to identify who the ideal customer is that they are targeting. They then focus on trying to understand and tap into what their primary challenges, goals and responsibilities are, and how those relate to the solution the business can provide.
With that understanding, they are better equipped to help those customers find the solutions they need in an organic way.
HOW TO DEVELOP EMPATHY
Go out and speak with people.
For a long time, marketers did everything from behind closed doors. But if you can meet people and have real conversations, you’ll be more able to interact with customers and see how they react to things.
It’s always better to ask open ended questions instead of trying to get data from surveys where the possible answers have already been laid out.
Find out what their challenges are and what solutions you can create to solve them.
Once you know this, you can align your campaign, including your SEO, around these real scenarios.
Try to speak with at least 3-5 people per persona you are trying to create.
By engaging in this process, Ed realized how much he loves interacting with and helping people.
“It makes marketing fun.”
- Build lasting relationships with your customers.
- Interviews are always better than surveys.
- Find out what their challenges are that you can create solutions for.
- Human to human connection makes marketing fun!
- Market to customers in a way that isn’t disruptive.
- Be sure to interview a variety of people before creating a profile.
MORE FROM ED