Comscore says 50% of queries will be voice based by 2020.
Eric believes that estimate may be a bit aggressive; however, the rise in voice interactions is so sharp, he says the number will at least hit 30% by 2020.
“It doesn’t really matter what those numbers are exactly. It’s a big jump, and we need to be ready.”
This expected jump raises the question: Where do our SEO efforts need to be to help us interact and connect with people?
The nature of the questions people ask will change as voice search becomes more common.
That means we must learn how to get featured snippets in a new way.
Data shows that when you get a featured snippet, your traffic goes up in the web environment. Although we don’t know how getting featured snippets in voice search will affect revenue, the thought is that it will remain positive.
HOW WILL VOICE CHANGE SEARCH?
Google web searches via search engines have trained us to use choppy, short phrases to find what we want on the web. However, when people are using voice search, they are more prone to speak in natural language. Additionally, they expect to be answered in real language.
That means two things:
- You need to be more prepared to answer with more natural language queries. You have to map out all possible Google scenarios:
Example: “What is an index tag?”
“What the heck is an index tag?”
“What does an index tag do?”
- You need to create a persona for your voice search. Consumers would much rather hear your voice than Google’s.
ACTIONS ON GOOGLE
Actions on Google is an interface that allows you to build a voice-based app for your business.
The app created specifically for your business gets incorporated through the Google system.
Google will then be able to refer people to your business through implicit queries. That means Google will suggest your app to people without them having to ask for your business.
However, since Actions on Google is not quite accessible to just anyone at this time, Eric suggests working with a developer to get your application up and running.
- Voice search is coming, so get ready! (And, we can help get you ready with our voice marketing services!)
- Actions on Google is a great place to start
- Prepare your voice search for more natural language queries
- Create a persona for your voice search.
- Voice search is on the rise because of the internet of things
- Don’t wait, start preparing for voice search now!
MORE FROM ERIC
Connect with Eric on Twitter